Friday, July 4, 2014

Wazza Writes History

On the bleakest of mornings, when the common wisdom questioned the sanity of venturing onto the streets, “Wazza the Lionhearted”, showed that it takes more than just cycling talent to win a bike race.

Wazza can’t sprint, he can’t climb and to be honest he is not that strong on the flats. So what does he have? I’ll tell you what – he’s got a heart as big as a fucking pumpkin!

While Esmo tried to establish a base line for his resting heart rate in bed, Runge and Marriott debated the going out while in the spa together and the “Silver Fox” practiced his easy listening piano numbers – “Pumpkin Heart” – rode the lonely road through the rain and the sleet, eyes focused firmly on the prize.

While the “Corriedale Kid” mused over pictures of his best breeders, “The Ace” listened to his Essential Motorhead compilation and “The General” contemplated the return from his sabbatical leave from the ICCC, “Pumpkin” settled into the zone.

“I couldn’t feel my hands or my feet and I was having trouble seeing, but I knew that this was my chance and I had to make the most of it” said our man in the post-race interview. “I am not a talented cyclist – I rely on other attributes”.

The attribute he is talking about is the ability to be as hard as nails when those around him take the soft option.
In the debrief at the Lake View, the crowd just wanted to be close to the gold plated toughness of our man Wazza. For today at least, he was the ICCC’s Jonathan Brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment