Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I am the ....

Today I was out surfing with a group of 15 year old girls. I run a program for young people on an isolated island and we do a lot of surfing on totally deserted beaches.

As we were waiting for the next set of waves to come in, one of the girls asked about sharks. I earnestly explained that we were close to the continental shelf and that the shallow water from around the island dropped to the very deep water of the great southern ocean not far off the coast, and this meant there were lots of sharks around.

I explained that the sharks would hunt for the seals that had colonies on the rock islands around the coast. I then said jokingly that it was a pity that they probably looked a lot like seals with their wetsuits on.

One of the girls looked me in the eye, emotionless, and said "Do they attack walruses?"

No comments:

Post a Comment