Saturday, July 23, 2011

Oh Cadel WTF Have You Done!!!

Its 30 years since I had my first bike race. Back then the only way that you could find out about what was happening in the world of cycling was to get one of the foreign magazines that were available, but these were usually about 3 months old when you got them.

I had two uncles that were racers and they would give me a pile of magazines to take home when I dropped around – they usua


lly slipped in the odd playboy as well which was a bit of a win win for a young fella like me.

There would often be European cyclists at my nan’s house as well as they would get billeted out there when they came across to race the Bendigo Madison and other track events, so I got to meet Danny Clark, Stan Tourne, Tony Doyle and Alan Dipple, and they often spotted me a few bits and pieces and kept me up to date with what was happening.

Phil Anderson was the man and my getting into bikes happened at a time when there was still plenty of blokes riding who had raced with him before he went to Europe. They all said that he was otherworldly in his ability, but he was just another Aussie racer. It gave everyone a bit of perspective that the best in the world were not that much better than the best in Australia when Phil was able to hold his own with guys like Hinault. Suddenly possibilities started to open up for a new generation of cyclists.

Cycling was however still far from a mainstream sport and you copped a lot of shit for riding a bike. I am not sure how many people really had much of an idea of who Phil Anderson was, let alone Allan Pieper.

Once the doors opened however the sport has developed its foothold into something of an hysteria. Neil Stephens, Robbie McEwan, Stuey O’Grady, Brad McGee, Baden Cooke, Simon Gerrans and others have meant that cycling has become part of the mainstream sporting landscape, and this has had the effect of cycling suddenly becoming cool.

Cadel wining the world champs was another big step forward, but the winning of the Tour was what was really going to cement the sport in the Aussie consciousness. No it has happened.

It is almost surreal to me when I think of myself as a 12 year old kid reading black and white magazines, and now reflect on being able to watch the stage last night live with my wife, with non-cycling friends texting me with their positive comments.

Hopefully the guys that paved the way get some reflected recognition from the broader public and some of their great achievements are acknowledged and celebrated by a new generation.

Well done Cadel on a race that you and all cycling fans should be proud of, and thanks everyone else for allowing us to be able to recognize and celebrate this achievement as part of our mainstream culture rather than just as part of esoteric subculture.

Cheers Lads

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post and would like to swap links !

    Got a lump in my throat as " OZ fair " was played but wish it was " WALTZING MATILDA "!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Mate,

    Happy to swap links - just not sure what that means or how you do it!!!

    Looks like you are having a great time and doing some good work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete