Sunday, July 31, 2011

Great Ugly Cyclists

While the tour was on I was really struck by the Specialized ad with all the gang talking about the one percenters in cycling and how super doper the new Specialized bikes were.

What really caught my eye, was just how aesthetically challenged Ralph Aldag was. As a person sporting a set on wing nuts myself I am 100% empathetic of the predicament one finds themselves in when you ears that are as big as a pair of children’s thongs, but Ralph seemed to be struggling also with a somewhat lopsided face situation. Now it may be that he is suffering from some sort of Bell’s palsy type issue, which if he is I apologise, but it did seem to me that for Ralph it was simply a case of being hit rather severely with the old ugly stick. I did a bit of research from his riding days, and he does not look that bad. Kind of a cross between Jan Ulrich and Frank Vandenbrouke or maybe the lovechild of Der Keiser and Staffi Graff. So for Ralph it was just a case of not aging gracefully.

The above combined with negative remarks about Cadel Evans’ and his cleft chin pixie look, got me thinking about who would be the greatest ugly cyclist to have pushed the pedals?

Given that the old Alpe Du Heuz featured in this years race it was actually a pretty easy choice. Two time winner on the Alpe and third overall in the early 80’s was Dutchman Peter Winnen. He actually kind of had a few of Cadel’s attributes physically, but with red hair and more freckles. That really just about says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment