Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Day I Rode Against a World Champion


Right from the start I need to say that he was a world champion in a discipline of cycling other than road racing and it was a masters event, but he was a genuine world champion, and I was riding off scratch with him and another guy who had ridden in the Olympics, so I was feeling pretty good about myself.

Unfortunately I had recently received a gift from my mother in the form of a pair of BBB winner "world champion" edition glasses. I had a pretty good look going on with the glasses a new pair of shoes and I was well oiled up. I felt great as I rolled to the start with about a minute to go before our bunch got the nod. As I stood by my bike and got myself sorted Mr. World Champion (MWC) eased up beside me. He kind of starred at me for a second before saying in a slow and emotionless voice - "So you've won a ____ing world championship have ya mate?"

I knew I was in real trouble here and while I tried in vain to conjure a witty one liner, all I could come up with was - "Shit mate, they were a present from me ____ing mum."

The fact that I was 38 at the time meant that this explanation was not a particularly effective way to gain any sort of credibility in the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment